DisplacedGuy’s Official PowerBuilder Training Portal
- Compensate for the lack of books written for PB version ten and higher.
- Create a diverse and up-to-date collection of training documents.
- Reduce negative publicity/perception caused by poorly designed applications.
- Reduce negative publicity/perception caused by poorly performing PB applications.
- Increase developer productivity so applications can be written faster.
- Improve design making future changes easier and less risky.
DisplacedGuy’s PB12.5 & .NET Self-Made Tutorials & Sample Applications
PowerBuilder or PowerBuilder to .NET Developer – I am recently off contract and looking for PowerBuilder or .NET development contracts or permanent positions. I would really prefer projects that involve migrating from PowerBuilder to .NET or WaveMaker. I have experience performing migrations to ASP.NET MVC using C#.NET, Entity Framework. My rate is extremely flexible, I just want to stay busy and keep learning. Thank you very much – rich at displacedguy dot com.
PowerBuilder newsletter. Why?
I send a few (very few) newsletters per year but it is a good way for us PB developers to network and discuss specifics about the consulting marketplace. In short networking, and sharing ideas, as of now I have never sent a single marketing based newsletter. I cannot promise that I never will, but it is highly unlikely– not my style and not something I have time for.
Many of the tutorials included here are self-created based by me on subjects that interest me or based on suggestions or special request. You may want to bookmark and check back, the last update to this page was Friday, Oct 10, 2014.
W o u l d Y O U p l e a s e h e l p ?
This is sort of a desperate plea, a swallow my pride and ask for help situation. I have never asked for help in my life before so it doesn’t come easy. Other than helping me find a contract, you can help by...
Next time you think to order something from Amazon… would you consider going to their site via my Amazon link on the top right side bar or the one on this page? You don’t need to buy anything in my list. The prices are exactly the same. If you use my link the referral cookie you get is good for 24 hours. If you have already visited Amazon today, then I won’t get the referral, and if your browser blocks cookies I will not get a referral. Thank you in advance, and if there is anything I can help with, PowerBuilder related (work challenge, etc.) or not, just email me and I’ll gladly help for free! You’ll see an increase in ads on this site, I apologize in advance.
new - This article describes the techniques and code used to Use .NET Visual Controls in PB Classic Applications. This technique was demonstrated at the Carolina Code Camp 2012 and at the May 2012 meeting of the North Carolina PowerBuilder User Group.
The techniques described here utilize Visual Basic .Net (coded in Visual Studio 2010) with the Interop Forms Toolkit available from Microsoft. The Interop Forms Toolkit was originally intended as a ‘bridge’ between the VB 6 world and VB .Net. It allows you to host any .Net control in any Win32 application that supports COM. The current version supports Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010.
new - PowerBuilder 5, 6, 7, 8, Tips by Artful Software.
DisplacedGuys Self Created PowerBuilder Tutorials & Sample Applications
This section consists of tutorials that were created by me and typically consist of using .NET assemblies in PowerBuilder or using PB assemblies in .NET. They also contain some PB WCF Web Services that are used in an ASP.NET MVC3 application. Most sample applications have downloadable code available.
How To Leverage .NET Framework Code in PowerBuilder.NET Applications – this is a self-written article that is intended for persons who are new to mixing PowerScript and .NET Framework Code within a PowerBuilder.NET application. This article was created by Rich (aka DisplacedGuy) because you asked for this type information in my last poll.
Yet another PowerBuilder.NET WCF Web Service How To Article – this article was also created based on your suggestion. This one is my most complete example so far and takes it one step farther than the other articles by publishing to IIS on an internet facing domain and making the web service available for use by anyone.
Testing and Debugging WCF Web Services – This is yet another article created based on your feedback. Would you believe that debugging PB.NET WCF Web Services is not that difficult even when consuming the web service using Visual Studio.
Creating my first PowerBuilder 12.5 .NET WCF Service. – This is an overview type article that summarizes my experiences creating a PowerBuilder WCF Service using PB 12.5 .NET, MS SQL Server 2008, and ASP.NET MVC3 as the client website utilizing the new WCF service.
Creating & Using a PowerBuilder 12.5 .NET WCF Service. – This step-by-step article contains over three dozen print screens and is a very detailed step by step process that I used when creating my first WCF Service. This is intended for PB developers who have not yet created a WCF Service.
Mapping PowerBuilder and .NET (C#) data types. – This is a reference page containing mapping of PowerBuilder and .NET (C#) data types.
Another Calling Web Service from PowerBuilder 12.5 Example & Creating a Web Service using PowerBuilder – This time I will explain how to access the web service via PowerBuilder. I am using the Classic version of PowerBuilder 12.5.
DisplacedGuys Favorite PowerBuilder Learning Links
This section consists of PB training that I felt was exceptional in quality and content and consists of content that was not created by me.
RESTful Service Quick Start Video – by expert Yakov Werde (26 minutes, Flash) Mr. Werde will take you through all of the steps involved in writing a PowerBuilder application that utilizes RESTful web services. This quick start video covers the following subjects.
1. Creating a basic PowerBuilder framework that partitions the logic into libraries. 2. Examine some existing free RESTful services, and the XML or JSON return values using Fiddler. 3. Examine XML project. 4. Examine JSON project. 5. Code the RESTful service. This quick start example also illustrates the use of CVUO’s (custom visual user objects).This copyrighted digital was created by DisplacedGuy.com and copyrighted by DisplacedGuy.com. Attribution to DisplacedGuy.com does not change the requirement that written permission from DisplacedGuy.com is required to copy this content in part or whole. Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA)
New May, 2014
PowerBuilder, Stay or Not to Stay – This unique white-paper discusses the decision making process of keeping an application written in PowerBuilder or migrating it to another language.
PowerBuilder 12.5 IDE Tips & Tricks – Webcast
The PowerBuilder Wikipedia Page - I added a link to this page in the Wiki entry so am putting a link to it here.
FREE Copy of PowerBuilder 12.5 – Download PB 12.5 – Is this REALLY free? Hmm, is SAP feeling guilty about the delay for PB15? I don’t see anything about this being a time limited installation, it “looks” to be free. I wll give it a try. Nope, it is just a TRIAL copy…
Moving your PB App to the Web – Sybase.com Whitepaper
PowerBuilder Naming Conventions by Donalds Brain.com – If you are looking for naming conventions commonly used when coding with PowerBuilder this is s good list. Most companies use some sort of naming convention, and most look similar to this list. Some shops use of_ for object level functions, and some use uf_ instead (like user function). The key is to stay consistent with the PB shop you are working.
PowerBuilder 12 Video Tutorials and Training for PowerBuilder .NET
- Video Demo: PowerBuilder .NET Guided Tour — Part 1 -Take this guided tour through PowerBuilder 12 to see for yourself how it’s the “Hottest Thing Yet to ROCK .NET
- Video Tutorial: WPF Benefits for PowerBuilder Developers -PowerBuilder 12 is the only development tool that allows developers to migrate their Win32 applications to WPF.
- Video Tutorial: PowerBuilder WCF Client Support -PowerBuilder 12 supports WCF by enabling applications to consume next generation Web Services.
- Video Tutorial: Powerscript Language Enhancements -PowerBuilder 12 includes several major Powerscript language enhancements to make development faster and easier than ever
- eTutorial: PowerBuilder 12 .NET StockTrader Sample Application – This eTutorial, based on the StockTrader Sample Application, highlights PowerBuilder 12.0’s abilities as both a development environment and a runtime platform for rich and thin clients. The PowerBuilder clients are delivered in four versions; Classic Win32, .NET Win Form, .NET Web Form and .NET WPF WCF. These client applications illustrate how you can leverage PowerBuilder’s enterprise .NET APIs, DataWindow Technology, and the PowerScript coding language in a developer-friendly and productive IDE to rapidly build Microsoft-compatible client applications.
- PowerScript .NET Tutorial – Full Length Video – This self guided tutorial will show you how to create fully CLS compliant .NET Win Form and WPF applications using PowerScript code and employing new and current language features inside PB 12. Concepts covered include .NET Language interoperability; the Common Language Specification, creating .NET Consumer Role compatible applications using the PB 12 Classic IDE, and creating .NET compatible Extenders using the PB 12 .NET IDE.
- PowerBuilder and WCF Tutorial – Full Length Video – This self guided tutorial will show you how to use PowerBuilder .NET together with the Microsoft .NET Communication Framework to create rich client applications functioning in an enterprise Service Oriented Architecture. Concepts covered include an overview of the tenets of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), an overview of the scope of the Windows Communication Framework (WCF) and the integration issues it addresses. Definitions are provided for fundamental WCF concepts.
PowerBuilder 12 Migration – PB Classic to PowerBuilder 12 .NET
Migrating PowerBuilder Applications – SAP (sybase) Technote that addresses changes between version 6.5 and 12.5
PowerBuilder 12 and PowerBuilder 12.NET Training Videos on YouTube
- PowerBuilder 12.NET – The new, “NEW” dialog by John Strano
- PowerBuilder .NET – The System Tree, Virtual PBLs and Project Objects
- PowerBuilder .NET – The DataWindow Painter – Datawindow specifics
- PowerBuilder .NET – PowerScript Painter
- PowerBuilder .NET – Window Painter Part 1
- PowerBuilder .NET – Window Painter Part 1
- PowerBuilder .NET – Skins and PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder 12 and PB.NET Presentations from Sybase Tech Days 2011
- PB 12.5 Look-Ahead – by John Strano & David Fish
- Migrating to .Net – By John Strano & David Fish
- PowerBuilder Overview & Roadmap – By John Strano & David Fish
PowerBuilder How-To and Instructional Information
Learn PowerBuilder RESTful web services, Docking Manager & NVO Services.
- How-To Build RESTful Part 1 on PBDJ by Yakov Werde – Lots of screen shots!
- How-To Build RESTful Part 2on PBDJ by Yakov Werde – Lots of screen shots!
- Moving your PowerBuilder.NET Application to the Web – With Appeon WhitepaperLearni
- Advanced WebDW HTML Generation with PowerBuilder 12.5
- new - Gradients, Not Glitz: Methods to Modernize PowerBuilder User Experiences (PBDJ) by Jeff Wayt
- new - The PowerBuilder .NET IDE - An in depth look at the PB IDE by the well known and respected Bruce Armstrong
PowerBuilder 12 Sample Apps & PB 12.NET Code Examples
- PowerBuilder CodeXchange allows developers to submit and download PB code samples.
- PowerBuilder 12 .NET Stock Trader Application.
The idea behind PB Web Easy is to use the PowerBuilder development environment to learn about the features of PowerBuilder and it’s Datawindow technology for building web applications.
PowerBuilder Groups and Associations
Sybase International User Group – Great place to learn, get free copies of PowerBuilder 12 and PowerBuilder 12.5 .NET !! Please tell them that Rich Bianco at DisplacedGuy referred you!
The SAP PowerBuilder Developer Center – Nice to see that SAP is doing more marketing than Sybase did, hopefully they can keep the ship from sinking.
Training videos on SAP’s new PowerBuilder Micro-Site. This site alone has at least a dozen links to videos that can be viewed or downloaded without fee or registration. This site is a great place to start if you want to come up to speed fast on PB12, 12.5 and .NET
PB Newsgroups, Technical Whitepapers, EBF’s and Technical Notes
- PB Newsgroups
- Technical Whitepapers
- Tech Notes
- PowerBuilder Product Manuals
- new – The PowerObject Yahoo User Group for PowerBuilder is the most active user group for PowerBuilder in the world. It is a great place to ask questions, meet other PB developers and see what is going on in the world of Powerbuilder. I’m not sure how I missed this link up until now..
- new - Latest PowerBuilder EBF Maintenence Download – The most recent EBF’s PB 12 (7217), 3/14/2013. PB 12.5.1 (4953), 2/7/2013
PowerBuilder Naming Standards
Elegant PowerBuilder Code – Good stuff on naming and basic stuff the PB developer will learn over many years developing.
- The Anvil Of Time – PB Blog
- new - The PowerBuilder Developers Journal is a great magazine that focuses on current features of PowerBuilder and contains many articles by guest bloggers. This site has hundreds if not thousands of PowerBuilder articles.
- new - Chris Pollach’s site for up-to-date news and information on various SAP products, technologies, and methodologies – The Great White North Technical Evangelist
- Shultz’s PowerBuilder Notes – PowerBuilder Blog
- Paul’s Postings – PowerBuilder and beyond…
- Elegant PowerBuilder Code – Has some pretty good techniques here.
- Slapout has a Blog with something I have never seen in my 20 years developing with PowerBuilder it’s a PowerBuilder Color Chart Reference Card. He also has a link to a function that he wrote to convert color names to PB color numbers.
- PowerBuilder Developers Web Ring
- 100 Days of PowerBuilder – 100 Days of PowerBuilder’ which is a series of discussions focused on basic PowerBuilder development using PowerBuilder 12.5 by PowerBuilder MVP Matt Balent.
- PowerBuilder Developers Webring – Variety of PowerBuilder websites, some old some new.
- Techno Kitten Blog has an outstanding archive of the history of PowerBuilder including new PowerBuilder features by version, migration issues by version, and hints about future PowerBuilder and Pocketbuilder releases.
(is your blog missing? leave a comment or email displacedguy at gmail and it will be added!)
PowerBuilder 12.5.NET Official Documentation Sets
- Release Bulletin
- Installation Guide
- New Features
- Users Guide
- Getting Started
- PowerBuilder .NET Features Guide
- Application Techniques
- DataWindow Programmers Guide
- Connecting to Your Database
- Deploying Applications and Components to .NET
- Objects and Controls
- PowerScript Reference
- DataWindow Reference
- Connection Reference
- Native Interface Programmers Guide and Reference
- Extension Reference
Official PowerBuilder 5 – 12.5 Documentation Sets
|Document Set ( * = archived )||Version||Language|
|PowerBuilder 10.2.1 *||10.2.1||English|
|PowerBuilder 10.2 *||10.2||English|
|PowerBuilder 9.0.3 *||9.0.3||English|
|PowerBuilder 9.0.2 *||9.0.2||English|
|PowerBuilder 9.0.1 *||9.0.1||English|
|PowerBuilder 9.0 *||9.0||English|
|PowerBuilder 8.0.4 *||8.0.4||English|
|PowerBuilder 8.0 *||8.0||English|
|PowerBuilder 7.0.2 *||7.0.2||English|
|PowerBuilder 6.5 *||6.5||English|
|PowerBuilder 6.0 *||6.0||English|
|PFC 6.0 *||6.0||English|
|PowerBuilder 5.0 *||5.0||English|
This copyrighted digital was created by DisplacedGuy.com and copyrighted by DisplacedGuy.com. Attribution to DisplacedGuy.com does not change the requirement that written permission from DisplacedGuy.com is required to copy this content in part or whole. Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA)
PowerBuilder Foundation Classes (PFC)
PowerBuilder PFC Links and Documentation
The PFC home on CodePlex contains downloads for PFC versions 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5 & 12 (Classic and .NET)
This link, a 15 minute PFC quick start guide is a little dated, but the concepts are the same and it should be useful for those using newer versions of PFC
The PFC Cheatsheet website is another gem that I just found. On the surface it doesn’t look like much, and it is somewhat dated but if you use the treeview menu on the left you’ll find that there are tons of useful links and information on this site. I wouldn’t doubt if this site has over 100 links to PB sites in itself!
PowerBuilder Marketing and Justification
new - This section was added in 2013 and while I didn’t normally include marketing links I thought it would be helpful to show some evangelist type posts in case you need some justification to convince your boss to upgrade to a more recent version of PB.
Twenty-four reasons to consider PowerBuilder 12 by Bruce Armstrong (PBDJ)
PowerBuilder Commercial Site Reference
Visual Expert knowledge management & change management tool for PowerBuilder applications. The company also offers other tools such as Discover PBProtect – The first obfuscator for PowerBuilder and Visual Guard
Security & Access Control for Business Applications
eLearnIt: Yakov has launched a commercial site for PowerBuilder training and while I have not reviewed it (I cannot afford myself) I have watched some of his videos and they are informative and interesting. He’s a managing partner of eLearnIt, which has partnered with ISUG to provide online training for PowerBuilder 11.5 and 12
Older Stuff: PowerBuilder – Version 11 or lower
PowerBuilder 11 and AJAX – This video demonstrates some of the AJAX Features of PowerBuilder 11.
Deploying PowerBuilder Applications with the PowerBuilder 11 Smart Client Intelligent Updater (Videos)
- Smart Client Installation of PowerBuilder .NET WinForm Application
- Smart Client Updating of PowerBuilder .NET Win Form Applications
- Smart Client Published PowerBuilder Application Rollback
- Smart Client Publishing a PowerBuilder .NET WinForm App using FTP and UNC
- New - Free PowerBuilder Training Online Courses for Versions 5, 6 & 7